- in Health tips
Best Practices to Prevent Neck Pain
Everyone looks forward to dusk, because this is the moment you can rest and free your mind of the day’s activities. It feels bad when sleeping becomes a problem, especially when you wake up with neck pain. No one wants to be scared to sleep because of the thought of always waking up with neck pain, and this is the reason that the best avoidance mechanism is essential.
Neck pain is not only a problem of the aged, but the younger population now complains of severe neck pain. Most of the causes can be avoided, and we have outlined several steps to take to avoid being a victim of neck pain.
COMMON CAUSES OF NECK PAIN
- SLEEPING POSTURE: This is the most common cause of neck pain because most people are unaware of the perfect posture to keep while sleeping. The reason is that most individuals, especially the younger generation, tend to sleep off while pressing their phones or seeing a movie. So it is hard to determine a particular posture. This is the leading cause of avoidable neck pain that we have today.
- CHOICE OF PILLOW: There are different pillow manufacturers, but not everyone is good for you. Some of the pillows that we rest our heads on while sleeping will only harm our neck muscles and cause it to strain or become stiff, hence causing pain when we wake up.
- SLEEPING PROBLEMS: Research has it that up to 5% of the people in a particular population experience pain in their bodies because of different sleeping problems. For some, it is a problem of finding it hard to sleep, for some other ones, they complain of waking up at intervals, having unsettled minds, or bad dreams while sleeping. All these do not help the body to achieve the purpose of relaxation while sleeping, which can lead to muscular pain, including neck pain.
- DAY POSTURE: This is another problem that is common to almost everyone; the way you posture your body while you are carrying out all the activities during the day is essential. Careless body carriage or neck positioning while pressing your phone, watching the TV, or even taking a walk can cause neck pain, which might not manifest until after you wake up from your sleep.
STEPS TO TAKE TO AVOID NECK PAIN
There are various steps you can take to avoid neck pain and enjoy better sleep, some of which include:
- Sleep on your side or back instead of lying on your stomach while sleeping. When you lie on your stomach, you will stress your neck muscles because you have to position your neck to a particular side all through the night, and this can cause neck pain. You also stress your backbone, and you can damage your spinal cord if you keep this posture consistently for years.
- Choose a feather or memory-foam pillow and avoid a pillow that is too hard or firm. A feather pillow will help keep your head in a good position all night has your head can sink into the pillow without affecting your neck muscles. A memory-foam pillow also follows the contour of your head and neck region, making sleeping easier. The feather pillow should be changed annually because it would have lost its strength by then.
- While sleeping on your side, you can place a pillow in-between your legs has this helps to keep your body in a straight profile while you are sleeping. You should also use a pillow that is designed in such a way that the neck region is higher than the head region. This way, your head will not bend to any side while you are sleeping.
- During the day, ensure you keep a straight walking profile and avoid bending your back. You should also keep your phone at face level while using it; it is wrong to bend the neck while operating your phone as this can cause neck pain.
- For those with underlying systemic diseases, it is essential to see a doctor for treatment.
Neck pain is not a good experience, and it can last for a long time if care is not taken. It also has a way of making an individual less productive, especially in the early hours of the day. Preventing is cheaper than the cure, and strict adherence to the measures above will make a difference.